Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:50:49 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
In a message dated 4/16/2003 3:06:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Some thoughts on exclusively nursing twins from a BDTD point of view:
> 
> Though it's tricky to latch two newborns at once, it very simply equaled into
> much more sleep for me, and that interpreted into a better supply.  This is
> the main reason I encourage swaddling, any number of pillows, a recliner or
> whatever it takes to latch both twins at least a majority of the feedings for
> a while.
> 

I wouldn't dispute this; I'd have loved it if even one of mine had been able to latch easily so we could achieve simultaneous feeding without a third or fourth helpful hand earlier than we did. (I think I could have done it a bit sooner now after group MOMs taught me craddle-clutch combo hold. Was one of those "duh, why didn't I think of that?" moments when our LLL group was young.) OTOH I'd never suggest a mother delay breastfeeding two multiples at once for weeks to months based on my anecdotal experience. Personal experience can be a help but it also can be a hindrance.

I was only suggesting it is wise to first assess each baby for outcomes consistent with effective breastfeeding and that at least one be able to effectively latch and remove milk before complicating it with a second baby breastfeeding at the same time. When two babies breastfeed at once, care providers and even many mothers start "lumping" the experience into one and seem to lose track of the two individual neonates who often have differing abilities at latching and effectively suckling--whether full or close to term, preterm, SGA, etc. (I should know better and I find even I do it.) As a result, inappropriate or ineffective neonate behaviors of one or both can too easily be reinforced. Supply/production CAN be an issue if an ineffective feeder is missed and milk removal is inadequate. Also, nipple trauma is more likely--nipple trauma can be harder for MOM to deal with when dealing with more than one. No time...

As mentioned in an earlier post, if at least one baby can latch properly and effectively remove milk consistently, I'd say go for it if desired. That will occur for some BF triads on day one or it may not occur for months for others. The mothers in our LLL group and on another list I'm on who are unable to breastfeed simultaneously due to whatever reason, report no more issue with supply/production than those who breastfeed simultaneously IF there is adequate milk removal via each baby or effective expression. 

BTW, has anyone tried out a swaddling blanket, such as that available via: www.colichelp.com/happiestbaby.html (Scroll toward bottom of page and click where indicated to see a photo.) I thought it looked like a "worth a try" item, especially for a MOM. Price seemed reasonable.

> Secondly, I very much agree with not assigning a side.  This would be how I
> discovered personally just how very different supplies can be from side to
> side.....not just slightly.....but dramatically in some 
> women.

Most of the MOT I know switch breasts on a 24 hour basis. Since each baby gets the same breast for 24 hours, it easier for the sleep-deprived (about 100% of MOT) to remember who mom wants to put where. Works wonderfully well for most MOT, but mothers of triplets generally alternate more often if fully breastfeeding.

Gosh, I'm loving all this discussion re: breastfeeding multiples! Fun for me.

Karen

ATOM RSS1 RSS2