From:
Duncan Broadfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:32:53 EST
I confess to a certain amount of amazement at the way children appear to be
treated by dentists in US.  For the record, (and I do not believe that my
experience is unusual in UK), my dentisit has never, never suggested that I
leave the consulting room while examining or treating my children.  My eldest
has gone in alone since he was about 12 years old, (his choice), and #2 still
prefers me to be present.  I simply go in along with the three youngest and he
sees them in turn.  Good luck to all who refuse to have their children treated
alone.

Child #2 at age 12 is the inveterate thumbsucker.  Her baby teeth were quite
affected ie they stuck out quite badly, and I kept expecting that a brace would
be required.  However our dentist just kept saying wait and see, and sure
enough, although her adult teeth started out badly, they have corrected
themselves.  Most of the children I know who have braces get them around 12
years.  Is this later than in US?  It goes without saying that most are bottle
fed  -  we're talking West of Scotland here!

Mary Broadfoot