From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:53:42 EST
I have posted previously about a mother of a 4+ week old who has had much
difficulty with her milk supply and her latch-on. When I first met her, the
baby had pink crystals in her urine and once we were able to feed the baby
quantities of pumped milk, this disappeared. However, over the past couple of
days, she has seen crystals again (not pink this time). This time, the baby's
urine volume is normal, as mom is supplementing when feeds do not go well
(most of the time, I'm afraid). I did, of course, refer her to her HCP, but
am also wondering about what is written in Ruth Lawrence's book about salt
imbalance, low milk supply and dehydration. She states that it is not clear
whether the high salt content is responsible for low milk production or the
other way around. Has anyone seen this problem before, or have any info about
it? Thank you.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA