From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 22:32:42 -0400
Hi all. Someone recently asked me about foremilk vs hindmilk, and if it was
true that they actually exist.  Now, from what I have read lately, in Ruth
Lawrence MD's book, Auerbach and Riordan's book, and in the recent 1999
issue of Clinics in Perinatology, (the article on slow gaining babies
entitled "  Slow Weight Gain and Low Milk Supply in the Breastfeeding
Dyad," by Dr. Nancy Powers, hindmilk and foremilk are defined entities.  I
realize that from the literature, hindmilk and foremilk are on a continuum,
and that there is no definitive point in which foremilk changes to
hindmilk, but that fat content changes linearly as the feeding or milk
expression session continues, with fat content rising as the time line
continues.

The person who asked me was told that there was no such thing as foremilk
and hindmilk, but that it was more a lactose thing that was the problem,
say, with green stools in breastfed babies. I also realize that green
stools are not a problem if you put your sunglasses on, but I wanted to
clarify these points on the existence of hind and foremilk.

Does anyone have any further thoughts on this? Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html