From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:41:26 -0500
6 or 7 moms met in the play area of our local mall in Tupelo Mississippi
USA to nurse their children during World Bf Week, the Big Latch-On.
According to the newspaper the mothers were asked to leave based on a
policy of no meetings without prior approval, or something to that effect.
Although it was admitted that they really were asked to leave due to the
mall management and/or patrons being uncomfortable. Later, the mall issued
a public apology on tv and newspaper.
However, this week here is a letter to the editor (I've edited out a few
sentences for brevity):
 "Shame seen in mall episode of women breast feeding"
'Whatever happened to shame and dignity? When I read in the Journal that
the mall manager had apologized to a group of nursing mothers.....I thought
of my mom and what a private thing that was to her.
'I wondered, what is next? Will we have people who want to go to the mall
to have sex and will we just accept that as being OK?....
"I just didn't get the purpose. I was embarrassed that it was done. I was
embarrassed that the mall manager felt the need to apologize. I believe
when those babies grow up and hear about it they will be embarrassed too."
The signature is of a woman's name.

Laurie Wheeler RN MN IBCLC