Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 13:29:54 EDT
I hope that someone has some facts or can guide me in the right direction to
get my answers.

I have had experience on some message boards where a non-LLL leader is
telling moms that if their baby has trouble gaining weight a way to increase
their weight is for the mother to increase the fat in her diet thus
increasing the fat in her breastmilk.  She has posted numerous studies to me
trying to tell me that this is true.  From what I have gathered from reading
those studies they point to; that it is NOT  total fat in a mothers milk that
is increased but instead it is the "kinds" of fat that are present in her
milk that can change and increase due to what the mother eats mainly in
regards to proteins.

Now I just re-read the section in the WAB which states "Human milk averages
approzimately two to three percent fat.   Fat accounts for 30 to 50 percent
of the total calories in human milk. Mothers who are SEVERELY undernourished
and have NO fat reserves of their own to draw on tend  to produe milk that is
somewhat lower in fat then that of well-nourished mothers,"

What I am asking is.....  If a mother does have the normal fat reserve and
her baby does not gain well can she increase the fat content in her own
breastmilk by eating foods higher in fat?  Now, from the statement that is in
WAB I believe the answer to my question is no.  Am I correct to believe this?

Thanks,
Chris Tharion
LLL Ware