Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 2009 06:51:07 -0600
Putting it down in writing helps for many reasons. One, it clarifies what happened, and the people involved can see exactly what their thought processes are. Second, it takes the person out of the "victim" role, and puts them into a more powerful position to create change.

While I agree that being told not to breastfeed is a difficult, embarassing situation, it is not a dangerous, nor painful experience. It creates a lot of strong feelings, but for the most part, people are not physically injured. Writing down information helps us move out of the embarassment, and into action.

Writing it down also helps us realize what the true focus of the problem is. Is it not being allowed to breastfeed? Is it a racial/color thing? Is it a young mom thing? Directly addressing the situation is more useful than a general "there is a problem here." Pinpointing a problem makes people squirm, especially those in the wrong, but it provides the no-longer-the-victim a much stronger position.

And then there's the old adage, "If it isn't documented, it didn't happen..."

Best wishes from a writer,
Sam Doak

<<