From:
Jack Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 May 1997 14:57:12 -0500
Well, I'm sorry there is no easy answer for this mother's "problem".
She will have to be more patient.  There is no point in driving everyone
crazy trying to get this baby to take a bottle.  The baby probably won't
do it.  Even if the baby eventually does, is it worth subjecting the
baby to this sort of aggravation, and the parents too?

Just let the mother know she can relax.  She should start feeding the
baby solids, and as the baby takes solids in substantial quantities
there is less and less worry about what the baby will eat during the day
when the mother is at her outside work.  After 6 months, the baby will
learn to drink from a cup.

There is no real problem here as far as I can tell.  Just in our bottle
feeding culture, we think babies need to take a bottle.  They don't.
Actually, some babies will wait for their mothers and not eat or drink
until the mother gets home.  No sweat.  Some babies this age are
sleeping 12 hours at night and obviously not drinking or eating during
this time.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC