Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:50:47 +0200
I was reading Jack Newman's article "Starting out right" and I found this
statement:
"The best supplement is your own colostrum. It can be mixed with 5% sugar
water if you are not able to express much at first. Formula is hardly ever
necessary in the first few days."

I am perplexed. As it is a hand-out for mothers there is no reference list,
so I have no idea how to find a source about this other than Dr. Newman's
personal opinion.

As far as I know, the best choices for newborn nutrition are (from
Mohrbacher's BAMS):
1. BF 2. EBM 3. Donated milk 4. non human supplement.

In the statement above, Dr Newman seems to imply that option 2 and 3 are
not available.
How would you consider colostrum mixed with sugar water compared to other
"non human supplements" (i.e. formula)?

Would you judge that sugar water had any advantage over formula?
Do you know of any research comparing the two choices of supplementation?

Thank you for your wisdom.
Micaela