From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:19:40 -0500
> My questions:
>
> 1.      Who was it that talked about 'the second nine months of life' -
that a
> child's head would be too large to get out of the womb if they stayed in
> for as long as nature might intent?
I'm reasonably sure that it was Ashley Montagu, mother's arms -
breastfeeding - likened to "womb with a view." But I can't find the exact
ref this am.  Looked in "touching" but didn't find it.

> 2.      Any psychologists out there that can address for me how ANY mental
> health professional could think that a child is unattached to the mother
at
> birth?
Mom is familiar because of her voice and heartbeat, which are so pervasive
for 9 mo.  Then as source of food, smell and touch, the baby is quickly
drawn in to mesh/bond with mom.   As a matter of self preservation (on
baby's part) this happens very rapidly.  This is why I am so against mother
baby separation immediately postpartum.  It is a process, over a period of
time but happens much more rapidly than we would imagine.

>3. Is there anything that really supports this proposition (they are
unattached at birth) or anything that counters it?
Babies are so adaptable, that yes, they can bond with "other" than mom. But
the crucial point is it does need to be one, pretty continuous, person early
on.

Leafing through "Touching" made me think it is probably time for a reread
:-)  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ