From:
Kay Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:35:05 +1000
Here are some of mine, from Australia:

about making milk and having enough:

Does anyone ever come up to a pregnant woman and say "your placenta isn't strong enough?"
You have trusted your body to make this beautiful baby from those 2 little cells so long ago- your body knew exactly what to do- why should it suddenly get it wrong now?

About frequent feeding in the early hours/days

Your baby was being 'drip fed' continuously through the umbilical cord a few hours ago, and suddenly along we come and cut off his food supply, and expect him to go from continuos feeding to every few hours-  he will take time to get used to intermittent food supply. He has also got lots of new things happening to him that probably frighten him, and you are his security- you are the only thing he is used to, so he needs to be really close to you, so you can protect him, he trusts you.

And my personal favourite!
You've lost your milk"
'Where do you think you might have left it? Shall I help you look for it? Is in under the bed, or did you leave it in the bathroom"
That one seems to really hit home as to how silly the concept is!!  I use this one when preparing mums for the 'outside world"!!

I have lots of these things, I didn't realise how many until I started thinking about ti all, but it really does help make it more fun for all!!
I am loving this thread- keep 'em coming!!

BTW: I have just returned from a presentation by our local Nursing Mothers Group to my Maternity Unit of a lovely Mah Tei baby sling and booklet on breastfeeding higher order multiples and vide of what Nursing Mothers is all about. It will be on the local news tonight!!

Best wishes
Susan in Australia