From:
Kimberly Radtke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 13:34:58 -0400
I love that I can learn about things in my own state from people who don't
live here but who post articles to Lactnet! Thanks Janice Reynolds for
posting about the Everett Food Bank (see end of post).

When I read your post, it occurred to me that this is an opportunity to
work with a community organization and provide information about
breastfeeding.

I called the Everett Food Bank and spoke to the Assistant Director. She
clarified that they don't really need formula, they are in greater need of
infant cereal and jarred food.

I asked her if they had information about WIC (as WithinReach (formerly
Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies) is the WIC information line for the state
and does much of the marketing for the WIC program including creating WIC
flyers in numerous languages). To see the flyers:
http://www.withinreachwa.org/forprof/materials/wic_flyers.htm

She said they do have WIC info including the flyers and they could use more
(so I took her order over the phone).  I also asked if they have
breastfeeding information or information about the importance of delaying
solids until 6 months. She said no and was surprised to hear about delaying
complimentary foods for 6 months. She stated that they have clients who
formula feed and need to provide formula to them. Not wanting to go down
that road and loose any ground I may have gained, I stated, "Of course you
have clients who formula feed. Formula is very expensive and they need to
get it free whenever possible. There are risks to formula feeding. Many
hospitals have stopped giving this away for free because of the risks. Some
physicians have compared it to a hospital cardiac unit giving away coupons
to McDonalds. (Thank you MA BF Coalition for this analogy)." I went on to
explain that the greater concern was the women who come to the food bank
who are breastfeeding but are tempted by the FREE formula...as it is
valuable. Those women may start to use it because they have it. This can
compromise their breastmilk supply....etc..." She was intrigued.

I asked if I could follow up with an email to her and the director. In the
email I would provide information about this and some ideas about how we
could work together to ensure their clients receive current, evidenced
based infant nutrition information. She was thrilled. I will also connect
them to their local breastfeeding coalition and other lactation support in
their community.

I then called the reporter who wrote the article and left a message for
her. I stated that the assistant director was surprised to learn about the
AAP recommendation to delay solids until 6 months and that this is
something her readership might be interested in learning more about. I
pitched a couple other ideas and will follow up with an email.

Hopefully good will come from all this.

Kimberly Radtke, Coordinator
Breastfeeding Coalition of WA
A program of WithinReach (formerly Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies)

Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:38:56 -0600
From:    Janice Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Food Bank plea for infant formula

(These towns are in Washington state
Janice Reynolds)

Agencies in urgent need of baby food
Everett, Marysville and Lynnwood food banks say they're nearly out of
formula and other supplies.

http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/06/06/10/100loc_b1food001.cfm