From:
Sherry Weersing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 20:18:36 EDT
  I do use a vinyl glove when I need it, I'm very aware of the latex issue,
use them as little as possible.
  As far as doing the hearing screens in the rooms, I work night shift and
very VERY few of our moms keep the babies in the room all night, also many
supplement at night, gggrrr. We have some nurses who push it "so mom can have
some sleep" as they are so exhausted after the ridiculous visiting hours,
most times it's the families. Anyway, two of the reasons that we do them in
the nursery is that our machine is ridiculously sensitive to ambient noise,
we take it into the circ room to use it and I have found that mom's do tend
to freak if the baby doesn't pass on the first shot even dispite our
assurances that there is still fluid in the ears. We also do their vital
signs and weights, our scale is not on a portable stand, at night. I just
shake my head that the parents don't want the babies to cry but they will
leave them in the nursery with 2, maybe 3 nurses and an average of 15 babies.
It's also frustrating that now that our staff has been cut on night shift I
hardly ever have time to get out and help moms that at least take babies out
for feedings. Seems like every change that has been made in the last few
years is more and more detrimental to babies and breastfeeding.
   Seriously thinking about doing something else but kind of stuck due to
health issues and one more kid in college. Sigh
   Sherry Weersing RNC