From:
Kellie Whitney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 13:59:11 -0700
Hello Wise Ones,

  I am considering goiing back on the pill. There are many reasons for this decision, not the least of which is that we absolutely cannot afford to have another child right now. I am aware of methods such as NFP, but my husband is not comfortable with using them (also, I'm not terribly interested in abstaining when I am MOST interested in not doing so!). and, no, he is not willing to have a vasectomy. Men...

  We are currently using barrier methods, which are OK, but they did lead to the birth of our second blessing :)

  My youngest is turning 3. I'm ready to wean her, and she is about there as well. I would not be upset if a birth control pill "dried me up" at this point. Distraction from nursing and limiting time at the breat has been somewhat helpful thus far, except for at night. After 5 years of night-nursing (I have an older child she tandem nursed with), I am getting to the point where I am so exhausted that I REALLY need to change things. She likes to nurse during the day, but is easilly distracted from doing so if I keep her occupied. Night-time is a different matter. Also, my husband has started to ask if I am planning to get more proactive about weaning. My older child was an all-the-time nurser until her was about 3. At 3 years, 4 months, he suddenly stopped nursing. Part of me feels I should hang on, she may wean soon. The other part of me is SO ready to wean her.

  Currently, she nursed to sleep for naptime and bedtime, upon waking from both of these times, when she needs comfort, and if she is bored, or if I am sitting down.

  In your experience, how quickly does supply drop if the mother goes on the pill with a nursing toddler/preschooler? I certainly don't want my daughter to face a situation where I suddenly have no milk, but given her temperment, a decline over a few weeks would be workable.

  BTW, when I was nursing my first and was pregnant with my second, my supply flagged a bit, but there was still enough milk that I was not dry nursing. My first was 13 months old when I became pregnant. Her nursed at least 8 times a day and several times at night. My supply has always been quite abundant. In fact, in the early months with both of my children, I had to manage rampant oversupply. I have a feeling that the pill would probably not eliminate my supply, but I hope it could diminish it a bit.

  Kellie Whitney