From:
JFK37188 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 09:36:41 EST
Just thought you'd like to know.  Remember the discharge "BF" packs of last
year with the water bottle, etc.?  Guess what is now appearing in our
hospital.  The "new" discharge pack for breast or formula contains a 6 pack of
ready to feed, a can of powdered formula and lots of coupons.  Maybe NOW the
peds, etc. will see that all these little come-ons to say they are being
friendly to bf and just trying to convince moms to use their brand (because we
KNOW moms will eventually go to formula anyhow and we want them to have the
"best" that is manufactured) were just a way to get their feet in the door.
Lull them into thinking there's nothing really bad in there, just some nice
perks for mom.  Then pull the ole switcheroo and load em up with formula.  Had
a sweet couple say to me last night (at 10:00 at their house) "if medical
people know that breastfeeding is so much more superior, why do they just ask
you if you want to breast or bottle feed, like they were just equal choices?
And why don't they really help you get started and support you?  why don't
they give you the total facts? "  they showed me cases and cases of formula
that had been UPS'd to their door that they did NOT order or request.  Now how
do you suppose that happened?  Sometimes I get so disgusted I just wanna PUKE!
Jane Kershaw
emailto: [log in to unmask]