From:
"M.Ersilia Armeni" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:10:19 -0400
Dear Lactnetters,
as I came across one of the "Breastfeeding Briefs" by GIFA (Geneva Infant
Feeding Association, member o IBFAN):

"Chapman DJ, Damio G, Young S, Perez-Escamilla R. Effectiveness of Breast-
Feeding Peer Counseling in a Low-Income, Predominantly Latina Population.
Obstet Gynecol Surv 2005;60:157-158

In the USA, low-income women breast feed their infants much less often
than the general population of women. The authors conducted a randomized,
prospective trial at an urban US hospital serving a large number of low-
income Latina women aged 18 years or older recruited from the prenatal
clinic at 26 weeks gestation or earlier. All the participants were
considering breastfeeding, and all delivered healthy singleton infants at
term. Women randomized to the intervention group (n=95) had at least one
prenatal home visit by a peer counselor. A counselor saw the women at
least once a day while hospitalized after delivery and provided hands-on
aid in proper breastfeeding techniques. All participants had at least 3
postpartum home visits, the first one within 24 hours of discharge.
Control women (n=75) received routine education in breastfeeding and had
access to an international board-certified lactation consultant. Nearly
90% of those in the intervention group reported perinatal contact with a
peer counselor; the number of visits averaged 2.7. Approximately half the
women acknowledged postpartum home visits and telephone calls. Peer
counseling was significantly associated with initiating breastfeeding.
Compared with control women, those counseled had a 61% lower risk of not
starting breastfeeding. Results at 1 and 3 months postpartum were less
impressive but still evident. At 6 months postpartum, no effect of peer
counseling on the incidence of breastfeeding was apparent."

I became interested in learning how the control group, with which an IBCLC
was somehow unvolved, did not fare that well compared to the intervention
group. Since I have no access to the full article, would any of you be
able to get it and kindly mail it to me?
M.Ersilia Armeni
pediatrician and IBCLC (Rome, Italy)