From:
R LOCKYER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 13:50:04 -0500
-- [ From: Regina Lockyer * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Hello,
I read with some frustration the recent posts about the 'drug using
mother that wants to breastfeed' and the 'women in Utah that are
pumping and bottle feeding'. Legal ramifications and personal
preferences aside, I feel it's important to support breastfeeding,
period.
A few months ago I received a call from an LC with a mother, tested
positive for cocaine at delivery, was not interested in breastfeeding
but was encouraged by the neonatologist. We never thought the HMO would
approve...but they did.
When our WIC program was written up in the Inquirer in an article about
teens and breastfeeding, our office received much rudeness from women
accusing us of promoting teen sex and AIDS. There's always somebody
with a problem with something.
What I'm getting at is that as a breastfeeding professional I must have
tolerance for what I may not agree with and with what I don't
understand.
Lactnet has become a small town with many different opinions.
I hope the mission doesn't get lost.

Regina