From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2001 17:09:01 +0200
Another issue we would need to face if the CS rates plateau at 95% in a few
years, is the issue of wet nursing or breastfeeding adoptive children,
because we will lose more mothers in childbirth.  There are good reasons for
CS being the last resort.  It is still more dangerous to the mother than a
vaginal birth, by some calculations carrying over 5 times the risk of
maternal death.
So one would like to think that the risk-benefit balance tips in favor of CS
when we need to do it.

I believe the original reason for doing them, however, was not to save the
baby's life, but to attempt to save its soul.  It needed to be removed from
the body of the mother in order for that to happen, even if both had
expired, which was the case for the first several decades of experience with
this operation.

Rachel Myr
midwife, midwife, midwife and listmother