From:
Julie Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:25:17 -0400
Wise Lactnetters:

As a LLLL, I have often quoted Dr. Sears in his "Baby Book", who says that iron-fortified cereals are not a good first food for infants because the iron in the cereals interferes with the absorption of the iron in breastmilk and can actually lead to the anemia it was intended to prevent.

Now my pediatrician friend wants to know the source of this statement, since she says the AAP is now recommending iron supplements at 6 months even for breastfed babies as more research comes out about subtle but permanent damage caused by anemia caught "too late" at 9 months.  She says the AAP is recommending iron-fortified cereals to breastfed babies as a first food and 'wouldn't make a recommendation that was potentially harmful.'

I've searched the archives, and LLL's website but to no avail.

The Baby Book was written over ten years ago - does the research on which he bases his statement still hold true?.  On his website, askdrsears.com, he now mentions rice cereal as an appropriate first food.   Jack Newman in his book seems to have no problem with it.

Also, I thought I had read somewhere a while ago that the artificial iron in rice cereal can irritate and also cause micro-fissures in baby's intestine, further leading to anemia.  Is this right?  Is it better for baby to get iron directly from foods or is supplemental iron just as effective in preventing anemia?

Bottom line, can someone point me to the studies on this subject?

Thanks in advance,
Julie Rosen, LLLL in NJ, CD