Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2019 03:06:51 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Dr. Nice,

Your post gives me an opportunity to express my gratitude for your work - - thank you for your many contributions to the field!  Mark Hallett was surely in good company during your years at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).  

I've been fortunate to spend many hours in the Reading Room at the National Library of Medicine at NIH.  I worked in D.C. and the greater metro area from 2000 - 2012, and did the wretched long commute in from northern Virginia, along with thousands of other determined souls packed onto I-66, Route 7, and I-95.  When I had a patient request for an evening consult, this meant that I could often spend the day hours at NLM, followed by the evening consult, which was then followed by the long commute home.  A secondary benefit of an evening consult was that the long drive home took place after rush hour, which is a misnomer.  Rush hour should be plural!  I grew up in two very small West Virginia towns, where the concept of "rush hour" was nonexistent.   

During my years in the D.C. area, evening and weekend hours at NLM were a thing of the past due to federal budget cuts years ago, so weekday visits were my only option.  This severely limits the ability of those who aren't employed by NIH to visit that library.  It's such a thrill to sit at one of the computers in the reading room and have unlimited full-text articles pop up on the screen, along with their many other resources.  More recently, the Library of Congress downtown has also eliminated their evening hours, although their Saturday hours are still intact.  Both of these remarkable resources offer an embarrassment of riches.  

With kind regards,

Debbie

Debra Swank, RN BSN IBCLC
More Than Reflexes Education
Ocala, Florida USA
http://www.MoreThanReflexes.org

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2