From:
"Linda J. Inglis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 14:47:39 EDT
Best Start is in the process of adapting their "Loving Support" pamphlets for
the native American WIC population.  This has been quite a challenging
project.  We had planned on having them ready for WBW but found that it isn't
so simple as going out and finding Native American subjects to photograph.  We
have found that each and every tribal group has their own beliefs and customs
surrounding birth and the weeks following birth.  These practices dictate how
well each particular culture accepts breastfeeding literature.  There are also
signs and symbols that need to be kept out of your pieces.  For instance owls
are a symbol of death in some tribes.  You wouldn't want to accidently feature
a graphic of an owl in the piece.  In all cases we found that the elders of
the community are looked upon as the "keepers of the facts".  We also found
that, in the majority of groups, breastfeeding is a very private bodily
function.  It is not to be seen by the men of the community at all, not even
the father of the baby in some instances.  One tribe has their new mothers
completely segregrated from the rest of the community for 30 days.  We found
that Native Americans who live on a reservation tend to be more conservative
in their views than groups who live outside a reservation.  I would suggest
that you do a little personal research in your area.  Talk to the older women
of the community, talk to the health workers that work with the tribal members
(especially ones who are members of the tribe), gather all the information you
can on their beliefs and practices.  This may lead you to the best forum to
present your information.  You may need to teach the elders of the community
and let them reach the younger folks.  You may, at the very least, need one of
the elder community women to accompany you in your educational outreach.

Linda Inglis BS, IBCLC
Best Start Social Marketing
Tampa, Florida
(where my positive attitude tells me it's starting to cool off)