From:
Lactatio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 08:37:50 -0500
Hi Jaye,

That Bioidentical hormone sounds strange and expensive, too, I bet.  I would recommend prescription Armour thyroid replacement.  It is natural desiccated pig thyroid gland with specific levels of T4 and T3 and also unspecified amounts of T1, T2 and calcitonen.

Synthroid only has T4, which is often not enough for some people.  Armour comes in varying amounts, and most people start with a very low dose under the tongue a couple times a day and then move up as the body adjusts.  As my doc explained it to me, hypothyroid people have many extra thyroid receptors in an effort to catch what little thyroid hormone there is.  It takes about a week for the extra receptors to fall away once treatment starts, so it is important not to start with a high dosage since you may get shakes, palpitations, etc.

I recommend a book by Mary Shomon called The Thyroid Hormone Breakthrough, which has a useful section on breastfeeding, some of which is online at her website, which also has a top thyroid docs list.  http://thyroid.about.com/cs/doctors/a/topdocs.htm  if mom wants someone new.  Also www.stopthethyroidmadness.com has many articles on Armour.

Marie Zahorick,

Lactation Consultant
Silver Cross Hospital
1200 Maple Road