From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:00:50 -0400
> The idea of remembering breastfeeding a reason is interesting, considering I
> try to nurse long enough for them to remember.  Unfortunately, three does not
> seem to have been long enough for my eldest.  However she remembers events
> that happened during nursing, or while nursing, but still not the nursing itself.
> This was interesting to ask them, and also kind of sad.  Here I was hoping I
> had created a memory they could hold onto and remember and instead, it has
> already left their memory by the teen years.  SO, in answer to the mom wanting to
> wean from worry her child will remember it, maybe it will help her to know
> that not all children even remember.

I too would like my daughters to remember nursing, though I won't
coerce them into continuing (if I could...) to get to an age where
they are liable to.

But I have my opinions on the age a child has to be in order to
remember.  Every child will be different of course, *but* I consider
that for many a child who nurses once or twice a day into their 4th
year, it is like brushing their teeth--something that is always done,
and taken for granted.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I
certainly don't remember brushing my teeth at 4, or even any single
episode of having done it before I was probably closer to 8-10.  I do
remember that we "did it" in general from about 6 yrs on, but at the
age of 4, I have no memory if anything to do with brushing my teeth.
I remember my mom singing to me to put me to sleep, and reading books
with me, and I know she stopped both of those when I was about 6 and
was reading by myself.

So I can completely see why a child of 4, or 3 would not have any
memory of nursing.  They are too young to remember something that
happened everyday and was "taken for granted".

By 6 though, maybe more of them will remember well.

Just my humble thoughts on this, based partly on friends whose kids
weaned after 5.

Fio.
ressource person with Allaitement Québec
Mama to Sandrine, 3.5 and Nyssa, 9.5 mos, tandem nursing.