From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 18:40:21 -0600
Claudia,

I believe that all of our major pump types have value. From my experience,
many women like these computer generated pumps, but I also have found many
women who do not.

I work for WIC and we only use Ameda products so I am not as schooled in
working with the new Medela computer generated pumps. But, I want to add to
this discussion that I have gotten a few moms who do not seem to like or do
well on the computer generated machines. I have had several WIC moms tell me
they like the Elite better than the Symphony. Why? Who knows but they claim
comfort, that the Elite feels more comfortable and they get the same milk
yield. I have had one mom prefer the Symphony.

And I know this isn't what is advertised -- but each mother is an
individual. Standard flange sizes can be too small for many women.  Even if
the nipples look marginally small to medium sized before pumping.

I know an IBCLC who has had several consults lately with moms using a
Symphony and experiencing unrelenting and unrelieved engorgement with little
milk removal. Switching to another type of breast pump solves the problem
and increases yield. I have gotten several calls from women using a brand
new PIS Advanced for a non-latching newborn who are getting less than an
ounce each time they pump. They either bought these pumps from a big store
or from a pump dealer who charges extra to demonstrate and these moms didn't
pay for it. It is hard to know if moms are using the "wrong" pump or using
it incorrectly.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC