Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:27:53 EST
Sharon says, among many other things,

<<  How much money should an LC expect=
  to be able to make?  Are we still really a bunch of volunteer counselors=
  who use our IBCLC status as a way to justify taking in enough money to at=
  least cover our yearly expenses (such as books, conferences, memberships)=
  and a little more if we're lucky?

While Sharon, I can't answer your question specifically as to how much we
should expect to make, I think that the IBCLCs who are not yet making a
living wage are those who are in private practice.  And I know many who are
doing rather well in private practice, to be quite frank.  (Not me, however.
My private practice is very small to accomodate all the rest of the things I
do).

Many IBCLCs are in hospital practice, and as far as I know, they are doing
very well (at least as well as the RNs.  If they aren't, they should demand a
raise!!  :>) ).  Many work for physicians, or in WIC clinics.  While I don't
know how much anyone makes in WIC or in OB or Peds offices who works solely
as an IBCLC, I do know that many are employed who are not also RNs or other
health professionals.  So, it is my feeling that the vast majority of IBCLCs
that are not in private practice are making a living wage.  Could we be
making more?  Absolutely!  In the Chicago area, and I believe I can speak for
the NC area as well, there are more hospital positions available for IBCLCs
than there are IBCLCs to fill them.

As far as private practice LCs, there are very few in the Chicagoland area.
Mostly, I think, because there are so many hospital based IBCLCs here.  And
as I said, not all are RN IBCLCs (take a bow, Mary Kay!).

Jan B in Wheaton