From:
Cathy Liles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:08:53 -0500
 Dear Lea,
I don't see this as a conundrum at all. If we provide information and don't
make recommendations or endorse a product, then we should be ok discussing
these  products and our experience with them (same goes for bottles, teats
and infant formulas) . We shouldn't accept money from these companies, but
informing a mother about their products is not unethical even if the company
is a  Code violator. This can also be an opportunity to educate a mother
about the Code and these issues and focus on pros and cons of various types
of milk expression (including manual) and re-emphasize proper positioning
which is usually what she really needs. You can always say, "Many mothers
have used XXX and found YYY."  Alternatively, you can suggest a mother
contact her primary health care provider for advice or recommendations.
There is nothing unethical about sharing accurate information with a mother.
Some Code violators DO offer products which are very important in helping
breastfeeding mothers and we shouldn't withhold that information as that
could be viewed as unethical as well.
Cathy