From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 18:06:49 EST
In a message dated 2/7/02 12:11:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> In my area there is one LC at one hospital that actually
> has a rep as a "boob grabber" and I've heard moms warn
> other moms about her.  She never asks first and is quite
> the drill sergeant about the whole thing.  It's definitely
> not the right approach for some moms.

Dear Friends:
    The above scenario is the BEST way to create breast aversion. The baby
might move its mouth on the breast while in the hospital, yet this is not
breastfeeding. When the breast becomes full and awkward to handle and the
baby has a chance to express its feelings: then we have breast refusal.
    And the situation is worsened if the baby has already been hurt by
suctioning and/or vacuum and/or forceps and/or being pulled out by hands used
as forceps.
    This whole style of applying baby to the breast is completely
disrespectful of the mother, the baby, and the process.
    My prayer is that hospital based and private practice LCs will be in
constant communication.
    Warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MSN, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE
craniosacral therapy practitioner
Elkins Park (a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; northeastern USA)
supporting the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative