From:
Judy LeVan Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:24:36 -0500
Karleen writes:

I would  add any analogy that compares formula to junk food should be added
and the now  infamous example of comparing formula feeding to AIDS.
~~~
Hello all,

George Kent used the phrase "nutritionally adequate" when talking about
formula. Formula is bound to meet strict Codex Alimentarius standards and is
available as a mother's milk substitute so that babies get the basics for
survival, growth and development if their mothers cannot or do not express
enough milk, or in other special circumstances. I make a point of  saying
something like:  " Formula isn't horrible, but formula  marketing can be
deceptive and undermining of mothers." "A baby who breastfeeds  or receives mom's
milk/human milk is in a different health category, now and  forever. I
believe this, and I believe we have the evidence to support this. The  extent of
the difference will be different with different babies at  different ages
and in different circumstances." But it never doesn't matter at  all as far as
we know, it always can matter.  When the mothers I meet are  or will be
using formula, I hope this assures them that whatever  breastfeeding or EMM
their babies get is very important in many ways, rather  than give up entirely
and give their babies only formula. I also hope it does  not overstate the
value of a breastfeeding relationship but neither does it  understate it. It
often feels like walking a tightrope, sometimes in high winds.  And the wind
keeps changing the direction it comes from....

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA