From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 08:32:54 -0800
Hi All,

Well, I guess I am just as busy on Lactnet when I am no-mail as when I am
getting my digests!  But, this is an urgent problem and we need info asap -
you'll see why:

I have a client - 38 yrs old, 2 kids, 2nd still BF (he just turned 5).  She
is in the process of starting to divorce her husband of 18 yrs.  They have
been having problems for 5 yrs.  She has just found out she has severe
Pelvic Inflamitory Disease (PID), affecting her uterus, fallopian tubes and
ovaries - she will never be able to concieve again.  Her Drs are testing her
for ALL STDs as she has been monogamous and her husband obviously hasn't
(the lawyer will have a field day with this!).  She will also ask for the
HIV test.

The question:  She tandem nursed her children for about 1 yr and as I
mentioned above is still nursing the younger child (once or twice a day).
We figure that her hubby started cheating on her shortly after they started
having marital problems - and so could have infected her with any number of
STDs during the last 5 yrs.  How likely is it that an STD could go into the
breastmilk and thereby into the children?  Does anyone know what effects (if
any) the STD's (any of them) if transferred to the children through the
breastmilk could have on the children in regards to health and behavior?

Any information anyone could send me on PID, and the effects of any STDs in
breastmilk and its effects on the child would br greatly appreciated.  As
one might expect - my client is absolutely devestated.

Please e-mail privately to   [log in to unmask]   as I am still no-mail.

TIA

Jay Simpson, CLE
Sacramento, California, West Coast, USA
Mailto: [log in to unmask] for Lactnet Book Raffle Information!