Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 08:03:24 +0000
Come on!  Someone who never uses finger feeding goes to a conference
and says it's not safe and everyone gets feelings of guilt and are
ready to abandon a technique which, *if used properly*, is very
useful.  Well I use finger feeding all the time, and have used it for
thousands of babies (I see 1200 new mothers and babies a year in the
clinic, and that over 14 years) and I have never yet had a problem
with it.  Why wouldn't it be safe?  Where is the proof that feeding
with a bottle and nipple is safe?  I have heard of babies aspirating
with a bottle, haven't you?

I use finger feeding to help a baby latch on who does not latch on.  I
do it for a minute or so, until the baby is sucking well, and calmed
down, and then try the baby on the breast.  It often works.  It is
wrong to use it to supplement a baby who is taking the breast, because
such babies, if supplements are truly necessary, should get the
supplement at the breast with the lactation aid (nursing
supplementer).  And, in my humble opinion, it is not to be used
primarily to avoid a bottle nipple.  As in how too too many people use
it in Toronto.  Well, we've tried to get the baby onto the breast, but
he won't do it, so finger feed and we'll try again next feeding.  It's
primary purpose is to get the baby to take the breast.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC