From:
Cheri Van Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 20:23:44 -0800
I discussed the issues raised about shear stresses on the nipple while breastfeeding with my engineer
husband (degree in physics) and e-mailed the question to my daughter (degree in physics, works on a
linear accelerator).  Both of them were hampered by a limited knowledge of breast and oral anatomy,
but they did the best they could with the information I provided.

My daughter sent back a lengthy and very thoughtful e-mail.  It's attached here as a quote, complete
with pictures.

My husband says the problem is too complicated to model effectively because it involves communicating
systems (the nipple and the baby), both of which respond to the shape and activities of the other and
each of which is unique to that individual.  He thinks it would take a large team weeks to months to
design appropriate measurement instruments and then a second large team several more weeks to months
to study each mother-baby unit and create a working model of their interactions.  In short, it
probably wouldn't be terribly helpful in finding a practical solution to an individual breastfeeding
problem.

They both thought it was a very interesting exercise, however, and think that the original poster is
definitely onto something....

Cheri Van Hoover, CNM, CLE
San Francisco, CA