From:
Ilene Roizman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 13:11:35 -0500
After searching through the archives, I haven't found enough information to answer this question:  Can long-term use of Prozac contribute to developmental delays?

A mom called me with concerns because her 1-year-old has shown signs of developmental delays to the point where the baby qualifies for early intervention. As she described it, the baby has "low tone," as evidenced, for example, by scooting around on her butt rather than crawling. The mom has been on Prozac long-term, throughout (and before) pregnancy and breasfteeding, and her pediatrician has said she should wean, which she doesn't want to do. She's confused by conflicting information she's found.

I haven't seen anything in the archives to suggest that developmental delays are associated with long-term Prozac use, and I don't know enought about it to advise this mom. Are there strong indications that this mom should wean? If Prozac is in any way to blame for her baby's developmental delays, how do I tell her this? Would there be any advantage for her to try to switch meds now?

Thanks,
Ilene Roizman
LLL Leader
Amerst, MA