From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 21:46:12 -0800
Hi there from the land of silent lurkdome!  I've been very quiet these last
months since ILCA for a variety of reasons beginning with a lesson in
humility and  very serious chronic health issues, but now I must come out
from hiding (anyone missed me?) and ask because REALLY need all of your wise
assistance for TWO issues.

First, I have a mom who is about 3 months post weaning her 3.5 year old who
has a very strange discharge from both breasts.  The discharge is the
consistency of Elmers White glue, but it is yellow and sort of looks like
pus, but doesn't smell.  It is rather greasy and in fact, when it is
expressed it has streaks of lipid throughout it.  The mom has been taking
lots of hot sauna treatments and when she expresses this stuff in the sauna
and then allows it to cool, the secretions are actually the consistency of
bees' wax!!!  Her ob/gyn's office is stumped (they cultured it and found
nothing) and told her to stop expressing it so that she would dry up.  Her
chiropractor said it is called "goomus", which I've never heard of in all my
years of being an LC!  The mom has some deep breast pain, but not any
predictable pattern and no other symptoms of yeast or mastitis.  I sent her
to the best physical therapist I know of for lymphatic drainage and the PT
said there was some "congestion"; after 10 minutes, the left breast was 25%
smaller than the right.  What is going on here and what is goomus?  Has
anyone else encountered this and do you have references for it?  Please
email me privately and to the list (I am actively reading Lactnet, but I
also have acute strep throat right now and don't want to miss an answer).
TIA!!!!

Second,  I need to find an IBCLC or CLE who works at Houston's Women's
Hospital for a patient of mine from Washington state who will be travelling
to Texas to adopt a baby.  She will be adopting this baby in 3-4 weeks from
a 14 year old girl who was impregnated by her step brother.  The young
woman/girl carrying the baby wants to keep the baby, but her parents forbid
it and she has chosen my patient as the preferred adoptive family.  I'm
assisting the Washington woman in a rapid induction of milk supply (she had
nursed her 4 children, but the last one weaned 2 years ago so it is really
not a relactation case).  SHE--and the birth mom-- HAVE GIVEN  PERMISSION
FOR ME TO POST ALL OF THIS on Lactnet in order to both educate others and so
that I can get a network set up for  her.  Please, again email me privately
if you can help this mom or know of someone who can.  As of right now, she
is on Domperidone,  a minimum of 100 minutes of pumping spread over 5 times
a day with Breast Compression and Relaxation and Visualization techniques I
teach, alfalfa capsules (she is anemic), and NSP's Homeopathic Distress
Remedy.   Probably she will be at Women's Hospital for 2 weeks, depending
upon the health of the baby (full-term) and she will need follow-up at the
hospital until she returns here where I can pick up where things left off.
Thank you so much for your assistance.
--
May Autumn Leaves Print Peace in Your Soul,
Chris

Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC
Perinatal Health Education, Lactation Consulting,
Natural Self-Health and Attachment Parenting Classes