From:
Daisy Chen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 06:02:40 -0700
Hello,
Breastfeeding isn't the most popular thing to do in my NICU as many of the
nurses and MDs have difficulty incorporating BF into the baby's plan of
care.  I am working with a NICU grad (just discharged last week) who is an
SGA, born at 32 wks gestation, now 41 weeks adjusted age. I have been
encouraging the mother to begin truly ad lib feedings and baby wearing to
help facilitate weight gain - I hope to motivate the mother instead of
discouraging her and resorting to bottles/formula. The pediatrician is
following the neonatologist's recommendation to only BF once a day, and to
slowly incorporate more BF each week. Does anyone have recommendations on
strategies they have used in order to collaborate with MD's? Thank you!

Daisy Chen, MA, OTR/L, SWC, CLEC
Pasadena, CA, USA

--
Daisy Chen, M.A., OTR/L, SWC, CLEC