From:
Patricia Gima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 09:34:39 -0600
">Hi fellow Lactnetter,

>I have a strange story I could use wome feedback on.
 3 days after coming home from the hospital.  She was

 Within 3 days of
>weaning, her symptoms completely disappeared.

However, at about 3 months post partum, the joint pain began
>again,

and again, within 3 days, the pain disappeared."

Sharon, It looks like that a case of that mysterious "3 Syndrome".  This is
her 3rd child, so she will probably be pain free for 3 years of
breastfeeding this time. :)

Seriously, if it were hormonally induced I doubt that 3 days off
breastfeeding would resolve it.  We know how long it takes for the breasts
to "know" that we are no longer breastfeeding.  However, if it is
emotionally induced, her resolve to wean could ease the pain.

Also the medicine could have begun to relieve the symptoms within the three
days.

You didn't say how old baby #2 is now, but baby #1 was 23 mos. old when
symptoms began the second time. Given the connection between stress and rh.
symptoms, this challenging time could be a factor. She could use some
guidance now in handling three little ones and all of the other
responsibilities she might have.  Has she attended LLL meetings?  There is a
wealth of information and encouragement for the situation she will find
herself in. Just knowing that she is doing something so good for her little
ones can be a boost to her health.

Also assure her that there are numerous arthritis medications that are
compatible with breastfeeding and she should find out what they are *before*
she has symptoms.  Just knowing that she can be treated adequately could
prevent a self-fulling prophesy.

Patricia Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee

mailto:[log in to unmask]