Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 15:06:14 EDT

Jane writes:

Maybe  lactation consultants should be lactation  therapists?

~~ Ah this has been an issue I've been wrestling with for years. It may be
a moot point now, but I've always thought it made more sense for us to be
"feeding therapists" rather than "lactation consultants." I could also
understand "feeding consultant" as a descriptor. The problem was, I guess, that
in OT and any other NON-LC health profession, like Speech,  etc. feeding
meant "bottlefeeding in infancy followed by the intro of  solids and other
liquids besides formula  and transition to solids and cup  or straw drinking.
This is what I learned in PT school when we had our Growth  and Development
classes with our fellow OTs. I don't remember hearing one word  about actual
biologic feeding of a baby at its mother's breast. Of course this  was a
long while ago and others can comment about any changes. When I took Wolf  and
Glass I did wonder why none of the PTs or the OTs I knew never learned about
 normal feeding at breast in school. No one can address the abnormal or
challenged, unless normal is understood first.

The real challenge on top of all this, is that as "lactation consultants"
we are also helping a mother negotiate the challenges of motherhood in
general.  We know it's not just about nutrition transfer of the milk.  When a PT
works with a new mom who is having painful intercourse, I doubt they really
get  into the realities of new motherhood in general, while LCs may do this
in the  context of sore nipples because it is certainly related and it
seems no one  else does.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL