From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2015 08:40:54 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends:

This is a new frontier.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23199900

Cancer Treat Rev. 2013 May;39(3):207-11. doi: 10.1016/j.ctrv.2012.10.002.
Epub 2012 Nov 28.
Chemotherapy, targeted agents, antiemetics and growth-factors in human
milk: how should we counsel cancer patients about breastfeeding?

Pistilli B1, Bellettini G, Giovannetti E, Codacci-Pisanelli G, Azim HA Jr,
Benedetti G, Sarno MA, Peccatori FA.

Abstract
An increasing number of women are diagnosed with cancer during pregnancy
and lactation. Women are usually advised to interrupt breastfeeding during
systemic anticancer treatment for fear of serious adverse effects to the
nursed infant. However, the issue is poorly addressed in the literature and
very few studies have evaluated the safety of breastfeeding during or after
cytotoxic drugs or target agents administration. In this review we will
analyze the available evidence that addresses the issue of anticancer
drugs, targeted agents, antiemetics and growth-factors excretion in human
milk. This could serve as a unique resource that may aid physicians in the
management of breastfeeding cancer patients interested in maintaining
lactation during treatment.

Copyright (c) 2012 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

Cancer chemotherapy in pregnancy

https://know.obgyn.wisc.edu/sites/mfm/fellowship/mfmfellowslecture/Documents/Documents/Use%20of%20Chemotherapy.pdf

When cancer is diagnosed in a pregnant woman, life-saving
chemotherapy for the mother poses life-threatening
concerns for the developing fetus. Depending on the type of
cancer and the stage at diagnosis, chemotherapy cannot
necessarily be delayed until after delivery. Women
diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia who decline
both termination and chemotherapy often die with the
previable fetus in utero. Safe use of chemotherapy,
especially during the second and third trimester, have been
reported, and pregnant women with cancer can accept
therapy without definite neonatal harm. Here, we review the
use of chemotherapy in pregnancy by trimester of exposure
and summarise neonatal outcomes, including malformations,
perinatal complications, and oldest age of neonatal
follow-up. We will also discuss the modes of action of the
drugs used and look at the multiagent regimens
recommended for use during pregnancy.

Lancet Oncol 2004; 5: 283-91

A book on the topic: Cancer in Pregnancy and Lactation.

http://ebooks.cambridge.org/chapter.jsf?bid=CBO9780511794995&cid=CBO9780511794995A034
--

warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Author:* Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breastfeeding Therapy*
www.nikkileehealth.com
https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth

*Get my FREE webinar series*