From:
"Heather M. Sharp" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:50:37 -0700
My name is Heather Sharp. I am a hospital LC and we also have problems
with night nurses giving formula. We had our staff pretty well trained
but then got a large influx of travel nurses and the problem started up
again. I have started teaching the parents what to expect at night
(increased wakefulness and fussiness) and how to deal with it. All they
really want is for the baby to stop crying. I recommend Dr. Karp's book
"The Happiest Baby on the Block" (I have no financial interest) and
teach some of his calming techniques, mainly swaddling, swinging and
shushing. Once the baby is calm, he will either go to sleep or
hopefully latch on. I also let them know that a baby that falls asleep
at the breast after nursing well but wakes up when put into the
bassinet is not waking from hunger but from loneliness. My hope is that
if the parents know what to expect and how to deal with it then they
won't be asking the nurse for that bottle of formula.

Heather Sharp, RN, IBCLC
San Diego, CA, USA