From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:50:09 -0500
I was asked by a LLL leader to post this question.
You can post the answers to the list or send them to me.

Sarah Friend Barnett
*************************************

Ok folks,
I need a quick-ish answer for a mom that called me the other day. She is 34
years old and is weaning her 4th child. She breastfeeds all her children for 6
months and then weans them. Starting around Christmas she began experiencing
deep pain after feeding just on one side and she had some blisters around the
nipple on the same side. The baby now 7 months old is now nursing only twice a
day and has had some diaper rash. I said it sounded like a yeast infection and
she interrupted me extremely relieved because she thought she had breast
cancer. She had an aunt with breast cancer.  She has had all her babies at
home and doesn't like doctors. I have said that she the usual I am not a dr.
medical opinions etc etc. and suggested she go and have a check up. She is
very resistant. So two questions: one if she is weaning anyway does the yeast
infection need to be treated or will it clear up on its own?  What else could
be causing this? There are no lumps or sore places and I talked through the
mastitis possibility, too.
Look forward to your responses!
Thanks,
Meredith