From:
Lisa Papas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 13:32:49 EDT
I had this experience with my 4th child.  My first 3 babies were the big
butterballs, happy thriving bf babies.  #3 doubled her weight by 2 months.
Always oversupply of milk.  #4 arrived and gained 3 to 4 ounces a week.  At 5
weeks began projectile vomiting.  She would nurse at long intervals and
refuse the breast many times. She was diagnosed with reflux. I chose to
concentrate on bf and not give meds or cereals etc.  She outgrew the reflux
around 9 months.  However, from 6 to 12 months she only gained a few ounces.
She was developmentally normal, ( and very happy and very active!) but wasn't
gaining.  She refused all solids for a very long time.  BF management was
optimal, (plently of milk, co-sleeping, night feeds, feeding offered
frequently etc)   My "gut" instinct told me that something was not right.  At
one point after bone scans and growth histories of both sides of family, and
blood work etc, I was told to supplement with soy formula as I knew she was
highly dairy sensitive.  She rejected it completely, and I happily kept her
at the breast.  She ended up being diagnosed with a genetic disorder called
Hereditary Fructose Intolerance.  She is unable to digest fructose  and thus
had rejected all fruits at this point. After some research, it turns out that
babies with this disorder do not exhibit any illness symptoms until either
formula or solid food is introduced to their diets. As far as a baby is
exclusively bf they do not have any medical symptoms (except for sometimes
slow weight gain as they grow older!)

Athina is now 2 and 3 months.  She has just started eating more and more
table foods, (no fruits) and is happy and thriving!!  And still nursing!!!!!
She drinks rice milk and water in addition to bm.  She is on target for
height for her age, ( a little smaller than my other kids, just a bit)  and
she still has not cracked 20 #  in weight!!!  (She was born at 38 weeks at 7#
8 ounces and 201/2 inches long!!!   )   she is very petite but healthy and
active.

My point with this post is that if a mother's gut tells her something is
wrong, to listen. I discussed the feelings with many others in the field of
lactation that something was "not right" with my baby.  I was pooh-poohed by
many.  She is healthy, happy etc etc.  Yes, there are many variations of
normal, and this baby may be the variation in the family.  However, when a
mother has bf 3 previous babies that gained extremely well, and then has one
that isn't gaining,  I think that there is reason for an extra look at the
situation.   Perhaps it is normal, but the rare situations shouldn't be
dismissed out of hand!   just my .02!!!

Lisa P in MI