From:
Sharon S Knorr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:16:56 -0400
Dear Toni,

It looks to me like the drop in milk supply is due to a lack of frequency
in breastfeeding, which is not going to be made up for by taking a
galactagoue.  If mom is nursing/pumping every 3-4 hours during day and
only once at night, that adds up to only about 4-6 sessions in a 24 hour
period, way too low for most 3-month olds, IMO.  This mom should try to
double the amount of nursing - how about the old LLL standard of taking
the baby to bed with her for a weekend or some variation on that theme?
This is not an uncommon problem for working moms.  She might also want to
add some manual expression to her pumping routine - this seems to help
stimulate milk production in some women more than just pumping alone.

Although the progestin only pill seems to be ok for most bf women, we are
getting more and more anectodal reports of milk supply problems.  Would
she be willing to try another method for a while, maybe a diaphragm or
IUD?

Galactagogues may also help, but check on dosage.  There is a lot in the
archives on the use of various herbal galactagogues and recommended
dosages (e-mail me if you are unable to access).

Hope this helps.  Catching up on my mail before another busy weekend with
4H and horses (wishing I was in Boca - the few ILCA conferences I was
able to attend were absolutely fantastic - looking forward to going again
when my nest is empty.)

Sharon Knorr, BSMT, LLLL, IBCLC
Lactation Consultant Services
Rochester, New York
mailto:[log in to unmask]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]