From:
Lisa Marasco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:21:38 -0700
>>We also do not have any proof that domperidone is an effective
galactogogue, I personally have had many mothers who feel that it does
increase their supply but an equal or greater number who feel that it
didn't help at all.  Randomized control trials would be difficult as
each mother infant dyad has their own unique circumstances making it
impossible to compare groups.<<

There is a Canadian study that compared the effectiveness of domperidone
vs metoclopramide for lactation (both did increase lactation). But
beyond that, I think that it is *very important* that we examine the
circumstances around moms who don't respond to any kind of a reputed
galactogogue. Most of the time we don't understand the problem, and a
galactogogue is often hoped to be a "broad spectrum" agent used in the
hopes that it will either overcome or compensate for whatever the
underlying problem is. IMHO, the best study would be on women with
normal lactations and health histories, to see the augmentation effects.

~Lisa Marasco