Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 13:57:29 -0500
I wrote about a case of adoption last year, I think, but I can't find it in
my files, so I'll try to relay it again, briefly.

I talked to a woman who adopted a toddler who was, I think, about 13 months
old.  He got off the plane and "glommed" onto her leg and would accept no
one except her for quite a while.  She wanted the two to connect, so she
carried him in a sling, napped with him, slept with him--the latter two
with her (and his) upper body undressed. She had nursed three other
children and knew that babies connect through skin.

One day she was awakened from a nap and the child was at the breast.  He
was about 16 months old. He continued to "nurse" at the breast for about a
year, seemingly without any milk there. When she set out to become his
mother, she had no goal of breastfeeding. (or breast-connecting)

Your client has a number of advantages over this case, and if the mother is
willing to take advantage of the skin-to-skin gift, she has a good chance
of this little one's accepting her "invitation" to her breast.

Keep it an invitation, knowing that the skin to skin touching will be of
benefit to both of them no matter what.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Mailto:[log in to unmask]