From:
Cathy Loughman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:15:54 -0700
I am planning to post some short, sweet, succinct, possibly tongue in cheek, "tips" sheets for patients and staff around our unit -- in change rooms, kitchens areas, on our office door.
I just want to get some feedback (no pun intended) from everyone for content accuracy, and impact.

I thought of highlighting various components of breastmilk such as Lactoferrin or some known fact and just tossing it out there.
This is the first (and only one) I've come up with so far. If you like the idea, feel free to use it and if you come up with a good one, please share:

Lact-notes:   Meet "Fil"         (Insert picture of ugly character)

( Fil - you don't want him hanging around your neighborhood)

A recently described hormone, Fil (feedback inhibitor of lactation), seems to play an important role in regulation of milk supply.

Fil acts locally within each breast.

Fil is secreted into breast milk. When the breast is not emptied, (i.e. softened) Fil remains in contact with the alveolar cells.

Fil appears to act on an apical receptor on the alveolar cell. This inhibits secretion of milk constituents. The complete mechanism is not yet understood, however this appears to be the mechanism of decreased milk production due to not emptying the breast.

·       Encourage your patients to breastfeed frequently and for long enough to allow the infant to "empty" the breast that he/she is nursing from.

·          If the baby is unable to nurse -- use a good breast pump to empty the breasts frequently.

·       Avoid supplementation with artificial baby milk.  Skipping or shortening breastfeeding sessions only encourages "Fil" to hang around.

( Wilde, 1998 , Peaker, 1998 ).

This public service message brought to you by your Friendly Lactation Consultants