From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:00:55 -0400
Well, as one who's had 2 C/S births (pre-PCA days) and a hysterectomy (w/PCA
morphine) I gotta say "give me the morphine, and don't be stinting with it
either!". Never, ever again will I allow a nurse or a doctor to walk into my
room mere hours post-operatively bearing a couple of Tylenol or Motrin! Yes,
I am a wimp, and proud of it - but abdominal surgery *HURTS* like all
get-out.

I am a firm believer in effective pain medication as the very first step in
post-op "mobilization", as well as in effective BFing. Till you've got mom
able to think about something other than her own pain, that adorable little
baby might just as well be an eggplant wearing a stocking cap or a 3-day old
egg salad sandwich for all the bonding that will happen. What it takes to
get women comfortable is vastly different, but it has to happen.

Cathy B.