From:
"Jennifer Tow, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2014 15:17:29 -0400
This is actually what the link says:

"For exclusively breastfed infants, FPIES reactions generally only begin when other foods are added to their diet. However, we have had babies who do not tolerate foods in maternal diet (although reactions are not as severe.) Typically, the child must directly ingest the trigger food for symptoms to develop."

First, I would bet these kids had symptoms beforehand, even though they weren't this severe. We have such a low bar for health, that we ignore most early indications of gut damage. Secondly, it is a misunderstanding of how the gut functions to claim that the foods in mom's diet are not triggers. The pioneer flora of the gut is the mother's and 75% of the immune system is in the gut, dependent upon that flora for its function. It is overly simplistic to talk about foods in mom's diet--it is more accurate to talk about her entire gut-brain function defining her infant's gut-brain, including her own gut integrity or not--she will pass endotoxins, antigens and other metabolites into her blood through a leaky gut, not only food proteins. I have observed that mothers protect their babies to some extent while breastfeeding, in spite of this, but once the baby is ingesting foods directly, the response is completely different. That's why breastfeeding is the perfect time for mothers to heal their own guts. Heal the mother, heal the baby.

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, USA & France

Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC