From:
The Hamiltons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 06:02:20 -0500
Are we off-topic yet? :-) Let me sneak in a quick one...

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> i was told once by a man of about sixty that when he was a child he slept in
> the bed with his older brother. when the older brother went off to college,
> he (the younger brother) was heartbroken. i wonder if some of the antipathy
> to co-sleeping has to do with the background that many people have of "they
> was so po' they slept three to a bed."

I think you're onto something, Carol. When my first baby was born, NO WAY was
she sleeping with us, said I-- and that lasted about 2 weeks. It didn't take
long for me to do a complete turn-around. My husband was-- grudgingly accepting,
my parents were pleasantly disapproving. Come to find out, of the 4 of us, I was
the ONLY one who slept alone as a child-- as a baby I had a crib in the parental
room, at 3 I was moved into my own bed in my own room. Mom, dad and dh slept
with parents, siblings, grandparents, and combinations thereof. I rested my
case. :-) My daughter graduated more or less to her own bed in her own room at
3.5, but joins us when she feels like it.
As far as older children and co-sleeping, my daughter and I hit a rough patch in
our relationship last year. I took to going in her room a while before time to
get her up for school and snuggling into bed with her for half an hour. She
wasn't even awake, but I swear it made a difference. In her? In me? I'm really
not sure.
Joanne Hamilton
Foley, AL
--