From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 22:31:04 -0500
Andrea, I so hear what you're saying.  I, and many many others on this list
from the sound of it, have been there, are there or fear we will be where
you are tomorrow!  I know I probably sound like a broken record, but what
will it take to break through this barrier of resistance from the medical
community?  Do we have to wait for ALL of them to die or retire?  In what
other area is there such a conspiracy of silence on the part of the medical
community that so hugely affects the health of people?  And who stands to
gain?  Rhetorical questions...yes.  How do we break through like they did
with the cigarette industry?  (Maybe we need a "smoking gun" from the
formula company, numerous recalls, apparently, not being enough!)  This
being nice and patient, and arming ourselves with research after research
and cow-towing and "knowing our place" and being subtle and
non-confrontational has brought us some distance from where we were, but it
seems to me the response to that is that formula companies have
...poof...found some magical stuff to put in formula to make it 'as good as
breastmilk' so moms can still formula feed and not feel guilty for giving
their children an inferior product!  I heard one lactation advocate from WIC
say today that one mother thought the new Lipil formula WAS breastmilk!  We
all know who the true bad guys are and shame on the health care workers who
are swayed by their glitzy gifts and fancy talk!  My husband keeps saying
(since he did some research and discovered the Code of Marketing for
himself) that we just need to get that passed into law in the U.S.  I see
the pendulum swinging in our favor but I'm not so sure it will go as far as
it needs to without a shove.  After my "incident", I have come to believe
that the walls that we keep running into in our facility will not come down
with sweet talk and research.  I believe they will have to be blasted down,
which means that people need to clearly see what's going on.  Is that what
it will take on a national level?  Maybe I've been at this too long to
bounce back gracefully yet again, but in the words of our President (in the
U.S.), I'm getting "sick and tired" of being pushed around and having a rag
stuffed in my mouth and my character assassinated.  This needs to stop!
(...sigh...I  just wish I didn't need money to live...)

Whew, I'm getting dizzy up here.  Sorry for the rant, but I for one, am
ready to climb onto Marsha Walker's bandwagon and follow her into battle!!!
Marsha, who's getting some of my 'fight' back!

Oh, yeah, to top it off, this bastion I keep bashing my head against, held a
3 day pediatric conference that ended today.  Paula Meier was invited.  She
got ONE HOUR of time and had only 12 people in her session!  (They didn't
advertise it at all!)

Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations
as all other earthly causes combined.