Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 21:54:13 -0500
Being a large breasted woman with irregularly shaped areola (mine are
oval going side to side)  I can only nurse comfortably in either a
football (my favored position) or in a cross cradle supporting my
breast the entire time.  I try to only do the cross cradle hold when
I am either seated on the ground with my legs criss-crossed or if I
am in a chair that has supportive arm rests.  If I let go of my
breast while my child is in a cross cradle I will get sore nipples.
(I am guessing from the weight of the breast pulling down on the
breast from his mouth?)

I use the cross cradle hold for various reasons, but one is so that a
mom has better control over "aim" and also so that she can feel what
a proper latch should feel like.  Once she has this down, then we can
move on to more comfortable positions.  I worked with one mom who
could never get the hang of a cradle hold, but cross cradle worked
fine for her.

I think the important thing with *any* position is proper latch and
position.  I could imagine that someone could even screw up the
football hold.

Joy!
Michelle

We have 18 years to teach our children independence.
Why try to do it all in the first year?