From:
Becky Engel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 19:22:46 -0500
At  an inservice by a pediatrician and an OB/GYN doc, there was discussion
of horizontal transmission of Group B Strep (GBS). That means that the
Group B Strep is not acquired by the infant prenatally or perinatally, but
at a later time, maybe four weeks after birth. The source of the GBS may be
the mom, other family members, health care workers (horrors!), or some
other person. A question was asked about the effect of breastfeeding on
this horizontal transmission. The doctors and I guessed that breastmilk
would not be a source of GBS (since it is primarily a resident of the GI
tract and perinatal transmission is due to migration to the vagina). We
suspected and hoped that breastmilk would have a protective effect. We had
not researched the literature, so did not have any research to quote.

Perhaps this has been discussed on Lactnet. My family changed internet
providers, so I quit Lactnet and resubscribed. (Thanks for the nice note
when I quit. Lactnet is wonderful, so I'm back with a new address.)

Does anybody have any references that pertain to horizontal transmission of
Group B Strep?

TIA, Becky Engel, Athens, GA